Saturday, May 05, 2007

Gender...hmmm

Having a baby (now toddler) had made me really wonder about gender roles. We have dolls, trucks, puzzles, kitchen sets, stuffed animals and they were all in equal balance at the beginning. Now we have cars and trucks and trucks and cars. It seems to me that the boys we know are all a little more car and truck focused than the girls (who actually cuddle the dolls rather than tossing them on the ground).

We had people over this afternoon and I was amused to notice these pictures taken at the same time.



Three boys being held up to see the big tractor working in the yard behind ours.



One girl swinging happily.

1 comment:

130sbyThirty said...

Just passing thru and thought I would comment on your situation you experienced recently. I have found that having a 1yr boy, that I am starting to see more how as parents we may tend to lean a boy to playing with cars all the time without thinking. I have many theories on how this changes a child later in life, but that is a whole other thing. But I just found your pictures interesting and thought provoking. Also your boy is darn cute!